Non-Resident Students

Non-resident students fall into one of three categories:

  1. Students engaged in degree work full-time, primarily with non-Harvard resources, for the majority of an academic term, are designated traveling scholars.
  2. GSAS degree candidates who are registered and conducting study at a Harvard faculty other than the FAS are designated as studying at another Harvard School.
  3. Students not engaged primarily in degree work are considered on leave of absence.

Applying for Non-Resident Status

See the Timeline of Non-Resident Process.

Before deciding to apply for non-resident status, students should discuss their plans with their advisor and with their financial aid officer

GSAS has waived the July 1 deadline and associated late fees for fall 2020 and academic year 2020-2021 non-resident applications. Applications for non-resident status must be submitted online by December 1 for the spring term.

  • The application must be approved by:
    1. two of the following: academic advisor, graduate program coordinator (or equivalent), director of graduate studies
      the department chair
    2. The GSAS Office of Student Affairs
    3. The Harvard International Office (international students only)
  • A new application must be filed for each new academic year.
  • Applications submitted after the deadline are subject to a late registration fee of $50 plus $5 for each week that the application is late.
  • Once an application has been accepted, a student does not need to complete the check-in process or registration.
  • Applications will not be approved if a student has an outstanding student account balance or is delinquent in repayment of a Harvard loan. If the balance is paid and the application submitted after the deadline, late fees may be charged.
  • If a student has non-resident status for more than two years, the Office of Student Affairs will contact the students department for more information.
  • The Registrar’s Office calculation of graduate-year (G-Year) does not stop while the student is on non-resident status.

Canceling or Changing a Submitted Application

Students who wish to change or cancel their non-resident status must submit the appropriate form to the Office of Student Affairs:

Returning to Campus

Students with non-resident status for the fall or spring term who are returning for the subsequent term must register and enroll online as a resident student by the deadlines indicated in the Academic Calendar.

Access to Harvard Library and Email for Non-Resident Students

Non-resident students retain access to their University email address, however, access to Harvard Library resources vary based on status and the tuition or fees paid.

Status (Tuition Selection)

Library Admittance

Borrowing Privileges



Shield 2017.png
Office of Student Affairs
Richard A. and Susan F. Smith Campus Center
1350 Massachusetts Avenue, Suite 350
Cambridge, MA 02138

Policy Forms

Change in Non-Resident Status
Cancellation of Non-Resident Status