The Office of Financial Aid is here to support students in making healthy financial decisions.
Every student’s financial situation is unique. For this reason, financial aid officers at Harvard Griffin GSAS specialize in supporting students from specific programs. We always recommend reaching out to your financial aid officer with questions instead of relying on information from your fellow students.
Getting Help from Your Financial Aid Officer
To request a meeting with your financial aid officer, email them or contact email@example.com. Examples of financial wellness topics that you may wish to bring up with your financial aid officer include:
- your funding package and your Notice of Financial Support
- financial aid policies
- options for loans or resources for additional funding
- the compensation structure for research assistants and teaching fellows
- expenses and budgeting
- financial planning before, during, or after a major life event (such as the birth or adoption of a child or taking a medical leave of absence).
Other Resources for Financial Wellness
Below are resources that can help you create your own financial wellness plan. All links will direct you to resources outside of the Harvard Kenneth C. Griffin Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Please be aware that some information on these sites may not be applicable to your personal financial situation. If you visit these websites, you will be subject to their terms of service and privacy policies.
- Read an article about planning your budget from GreenPath Financial Wellness.
- Read an article about how to avoid common budgeting mistakes from GreenPath Financial Wellness.
- Learn about creating a budget from Harvard University Student Financial Services.
- Use a worksheet from the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid to plan your monthly budget:
- Learn about credit, credit reports, and credit scores from Harvard University Student Financial Services.
- Request a free annual credit report through AnnualCreditReport.com.
- Learn about your FICO Score from myFICO.
- Read articles about credit scores, credit reports, and more from Experian.
- Get information about filing federal and state taxes from Harvard University Student Financial Services.
- Learn about filing taxes as an international student from the Harvard International Office.
- Prepare and file your federal taxes for free with the Internal Revenue Service.
- Calculate your estimated student loan repayment at StudentLoans.gov.
- Read a guide on federal student loans from the US Department of Education.
- Learn about income-driven repayment plans from the US Department of Education.
- Learn about the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program from the US Department of Education.
- Get free student loan advice from The Institute of Student Loan Advisors.
- Access low-cost debt counseling through GreenPath (this service is free to members of the Harvard University Employees Credit Union).
- Get a list of additional financial wellness resources from Harvard University Student Financial Services.
- Receive free financial counseling from the GreenPath Financial Wellness Program through the Harvard University Employees Credit Union.
- Build financial know-how through Bank of America’s Better Money Habits program.
- Learn how to make informed financial decisions through Cash Course.
- Improve your financial literacy with the American Institute of CPAs.
- Learn about your personal finances from MyMoney.gov.
- Have your financial questions answered by NerdWallet.
- Manage your financial resources with Mint.