Skip to main content

Non-Resident Students

Last Updated

On this page:

Non-resident students fall into one of three categories:

  1. Students engaged in degree work full-time, not in Greater Boston/Cambridge, primarily with non-Harvard resources, for the majority of an academic term, are designated traveling scholars.
  2. Harvard Griffin GSAS degree candidates who are registered and studying at a Harvard faculty other than the FAS are designated as studying at another Harvard School.
  3. Students not engaged primarily in degree work may apply to take a leave of absence.


Applying for Non-Resident Status

Deadlines are noted in the Academic Calendar and in the Timeline of Non-Resident Process.

Before deciding to apply for non-resident status, students should discuss their plans with their advisors and financial aid officer

Students are strongly encouraged to submit their non-resident applications by July 1 for fall term only/full year, and December 1 for spring only. Please note that the date a student submits an application for leave will affect the student's health insurance coverage and charges through Harvard as outlined in the HUHS Leave of Absence/Withdrawal policy

  • The application must be approved by:
    1. Two of the following: academic advisor, graduate program coordinator (or equivalent), director of graduate studies 
      The department chair
    2. The Office of Student Affairs
    3. Financial Aid Officer acknowledgment 
    4. The Harvard International Office (international students only)
  • A new application must be filed for each new academic year.
  • Once an application has been accepted, a student does not need to complete the check-in process or registration.
  • Applications will not be approved if a student has an outstanding student account balance or is delinquent in repayment of a Harvard loan. If the balance is paid and the application submitted after the deadline, late fees may be charged.
  • If a student has non-resident status for more than two years, the Office of Student Affairs will contact the students' department for more information.
  • The Registrar’s Office calculation of graduate-year (G-Year) does not stop while the student is on non-resident status.

Canceling or Changing a Submitted Application

Students who wish to change their non-resident status (update tuition) should email the request to the Office of Student Affairs. Students who wish to cancel their non-resident status must submit a signed Cancellation of Non-Resident Status form to the Office of Student Affairs

Returning to Campus

Students with non-resident status for the fall or spring term who are returning for the subsequent term must register and enroll online as a resident student by the deadlines indicated in the Academic Calendar.

Access to Harvard Library and Email for Non-Resident Students

Non-resident students retain access to their University email address; however, access to Harvard Library resources varies based on status and the tuition/fees paid.

Status (Tuition/Fees Paid)

Library Admittance

Borrowing Privileges


Leave of Absence (Facilities Fee)Full AccessFull PrivilegesFull Access
Leave of Absence (Active File Fee)Alumni AccessAlumni PrivilegesAlumni Access
Traveling Scholars (Facilities Fee and Active File Fee)Full AccessFull PrivilegesFull Access



Cancellation of Non-Resident Status


Let us know your thoughts

Was This Helpful?

I found what I was looking for.
I couldn't find what I needed.
Events Calendar