Application for Degree
On this page:
Students who are ready to graduate must be enrolled and pay the appropriate tuition, course rate, or facilities fee in their final term of enrollment before applying for one of three annual degree-conferral dates through my.harvard by the deadline indicated in the Degree Calendar.
In unusual circumstances, late applications may be accepted during the week following the deadline:
- If a student applies for but does not receive the degree during a given degree period, they must submit a new application for the future degree period in which they intend to graduate.
- Master’s students must pay full tuition or, if part-time, the per-course rate in their final term.
- PhD students interested in a master's en route/masters in passing must apply in my.Harvard by the degree calendar deadlines.
Final Term of Enrollment
- For November degree candidates, the preceding spring term is considered the final term of enrollment.
- For March degree candidates, the preceding fall term is considered the final term of enrollment.
- For May degree candidates, the spring term in which they apply for their degree is considered the final term of enrollment.
- Students may be on non-resident status in their final term of enrollment.
- Non-resident students pay the equivalent of the facilities fee in their final term of enrollment.
- When applying for the degree, non-resident students who paid the active file fee in their final term of enrollment will be charged an additional fee to ensure that the total fees paid are equivalent to the facilities fee.
Receiving the Diploma
- Students who apply for the November, March, and May degree periods may receive their diplomas at the GSAS Diploma Awarding Ceremony on Commencement Day.
- When applying for the degree, degree candidates who choose not to receive their diploma at Commencement can pay for their diploma to be mailed to them or held for pick up at the Registrar’s Office.
Let us know your thoughts