Skip to main content

Credit for Completed Graduate Work

Last Updated

PhD students may be eligible to receive credit for graduate work they completed while enrolled in a graduate program at other Harvard Schools or institutions. Students must complete at least one full term of satisfactory work at Harvard Griffin GSAS before submitting an application to the Registrar’s Office.

  • No guarantee is given that applications will be granted.
  • Only courses comparable to the level and merit of a Harvard Griffin GSAS course will be approved; credit is not given for undergraduate courses or thesis courses.

Credit for Work Done at Harvard University

Students may apply to receive academic credit for courses taken at Harvard University.

  • Courses taken in a Harvard AB/AM or AB/SM program, at Harvard Summer School, as a Harvard Griffin GSAS special student, or as an employee under the Tuition Assistance Program (for courses taken in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences only) may be counted toward the minimum academic residence requirements for a master’s degree.
  • Maximum allowable credit is 4 courses (16 credits) toward a one-year master’s and 8 courses (32 credits) toward a two-year master’s or the PhD degree.

Credit for Work Done Elsewhere

Students may apply to receive academic credit for courses taken outside Harvard University.

  • Maximum allowable credit is 4 courses for master’s candidates and 8 courses for PhD candidates.


Application for Academic Credit for Graduate Work Done Elsewhere

Let us know your thoughts

Was This Helpful?

I found what I was looking for.
I couldn't find what I needed.
Events Calendar