How long does it take to earn a PhD or master’s degree?
Time to degree for PhD programs varies by department and master’s degrees generally take one to two years, depending on the program. Contact your program of interest to learn the average time to degree.

What funding is offered to students?
Visit Funding and Aid for information on funding support.

Who is my financial aid officer?
All GSAS programs have a designated financial aid officer, who can provide the information you need to make informed decisions regarding your financial support. 

I have a question about my student account?
Contact your financial aid officer with questions about your student account.

I have a credit balance on my student account, how do I get a refund?
If you have a credit balance on your student account, contact your financial aid officer for assistance in obtaining a refund.

Whom should I contact with questions about work study or loan paperwork?
Contact your financial aid officer for assistance with work study or loan paperwork.

My spouse or child is a GSAS student. Whom can I speak with about a financial aid question?
Due to confidentiality issues, financial aid staff are unable to discuss questions about GSAS funding or academic status with anyone other than the student. Additional information about Harvard’s policies concerning the privacy of student records is available from the Registrar’s Office.


Who can help me with questions about the Foreign Languages and Area Studies Fellowship (FLAS) Fellowship?
The Foreign Languages and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships promote foreign language competence and international world area knowledge by ensuring the continuance of area expertise in a variety of fields, including academe. If you have questions about the fellowship, you can email the FLAS Fellowship coordinator.

Who can help me with questions about an NSF fellowship?
Contact your financial aid officer with questions about NSF fellowships.

When is my department’s internal deadline?
Departments set their own internal deadlines for GSAS/Harvard fellowships requiring departmental ranking, which are earlier than the GSAS's deadlines. These fellowships include: Kennedy, Knox, Sheldon, and Lurcy Traveling Fellowships, GSAS Summer Tuition Fellowship, GSAS Summer Predissertation Fellowship, and the GSAS Merit/Term-Time Research Awards. Please speak with your department administrator to determine your department’s specific internal deadline.

Why do I need to submit my Fulbright applications (IIE and DDRA) so early?
GSAS is responsible for Harvard’s Fulbright application package and sets an earlier deadline to ensure that all applications are submitted by the Fulbright deadline.

I want to apply to a certain fellowship, but the requirements state that Harvard can only nominate one student. How do I apply?
The Office of the Vice Provost for Research (OVPR) handles all fellowship nominations and competitions that have a limited number of applications per institution. Search the OVPR database for more information on the fellowship you are interested in or, if it does not appear in the database, email Autumn Bennett for assistance.

When will I hear about my fellowship applications?
GSAS communicates most results by the middle of April; students applying for dissertation completion fellowships will be notified by the end of April or beginning of May.

How do I know when my faculty member has submitted a letter of recommendation?
You may check the status of your references in CARAT and the two Fulbright (IIE and DDRA) application portals; in CARAT references have a green check next to them when submitted and a construction triangle when not.