MBTA Semester Pass Program
Harvard Griffin GSAS allows one order per student per term. You must be a current student at the Harvard Kenneth C. Griffin Graduate School of Arts and Sciences to receive a pass. Students can order a five-month (January through May) or four-month (February through May) pass for the spring term and a four-month (September through December) pass for the fall term.
Please review the guidelines on how to place a semester pass order. Eligible student workers who participate in the MBTA Pass Program do not qualify for a parking or bicycling benefit while their pass is active (January through May, February through May, or September through December).
- The January through May (five-month) pass runs from January 1 through May 31. Orders can be placed beginning November 9. The deadline to submit an order for a January through May pass is December 8.
- The February through May (four-month) pass runs from February 1 through May 31. Orders can be placed beginning December 9. The deadline to submit an order for a February through May pass is January 8.
- The September through December (four-month) pass runs from September 1 to December 31. Orders can be placed beginning July 9. The deadline to submit an order for a September through December pass is August 8.
Semester Pass Program FAQs
- Can I buy single-month MBTA passes?
No. The Semester Pass Program offers coverage for either four or five consecutive months, depending on the pass you choose. Students are charged for the entire amount and cannot opt-in or out of coverage during the term.
- Is there a pass pick-up location or will my pass be shipped to me?
Passes will be mailed to you by Edenred Commuter Benefit Solutions to the delivery address you indicate in your order form; there is no in-person pickup option. Please note that the delivery address must be a valid US address.
- How do I update my delivery address?
You may update your delivery address under the "My Account – My Profile” tab of your Edenred ordering portal. Please make sure you update your delivery address prior to ordering your semester pass product.
- What happens if I didn’t receive my Commuter Rail pass?
Commuter Rail passes are mailed with Certified Mail to ensure successful delivery. Certified Mail is a special USPS service that requires a signature of receipt. You should receive a tracking number via email from stamps.com each month to track when it will be delivered. If USPS cannot successfully deliver your pass, USPS will leave a note (certified tag) saying there is a package at the nearest post office for pickup. It will have the address of the post office location noted.
- What happens if I didn’t receive my bus/subway pass?
It is your responsibility to contact Edenred to troubleshoot and/or initiate the replacement pass process. If you have not received your pass before the first day of the start of your pass, please contact Edenred's customer support at 800-531-2828. You can also request a replacement on the “My Account – Order History” tab of your Edenred ordering portal by clicking “Did Not Receive.” Please confirm the address you entered for the original order is correct.
- What is the fee if I lose my bus/subway pass?
Replacement cards for lost passes cost $10. You can request a replacement on the “My Account – Order History” tab of your Edenred ordering portal by clicking “Lost/Stolen/Damaged Card.” Commuter Rail passes cannot be replaced, but new passes are mailed out at the start of each month.
- What forms of payment are accepted?
You can pay with ACH (bank transfer) or credit card. There is a credit card processing fee of 4 percent of your total purchase amount. There is no fee to pay with ACH. Payment is due upon submitting your order.
- Is there a fee for rejected ACH (bank transfer) payments? If so, how much is the fee?
Yes, rejected ACH payments result in a $25 fee, which will be charged to your Harvard Griffin GSAS student account and collected by the Office of Student Affairs.
- Are summer semester passes available for purchase?
Summer semester passes are not offered. Instead, you may purchase the following:
- January through May (five-month spring semester pass)
- February through May (four-month spring semester pass)
- September through December (four-month fall semester pass)
- Where can I go to get more information on each pass and what it covers?
Please visit the MBTA website.
- I did not use my pass, or no longer need it, can I request a refund?
Students who do not use or need their MBTA pass are not eligible for a refund. If you experience issues with the delivery of your pass, you may be eligible for reimbursement for out-of-pocket transportation costs. Please review the Reimbursement Policy below.
Four-Month Pass Pricing (Feb–May, Sep–Dec)
Prices reflect fare increases that took effect in July 2019.
Full Fare Cost
Harvard Griffin GSAS Subsidized Four-Month Pass
|Link Pass (local bus and subway):||$360.00||$180.00|
|Inner Express Bus:||$544.00||$272.00|
Five-Month Pass Pricing (Jan–May)
Full Fare Cost
Harvard Griffin GSAS Subsidized Four-Month Pass
|Link Pass (local bus and subway):||$450.00||$225.00|
|Inner Express Bus:||$680.00||$340.00|
Ordinarily, Harvard Griffin GSAS does not issue refunds or reimbursements for MBTA passes purchased through the Harvard Griffin GSAS MBTA Pass Program. The only exception is the allowance of partial refunds due to USPS delivery issues beyond student control.
If it is after the first day of the month that your MBTA pass is set to begin, please first reach out to Edenred Commuter Benefit Solutions as soon as possible (phone: 800-531-2828) to inquire about the status of your delivery and tracking if available. It is the responsibility of the students to reach out to Edenred if their pass did not arrive.
You may be eligible for a reimbursement if you incurred out-of-pocket MBTA expenses after you have reached out to Edenred. To request a refund, you must email email@example.com and:
- Provide proof of the email communication sent to Edenred Commuter Benefit Solutions inquiring about the status of your pass delivery or requesting the shipment of a new pass.
- Provide copies of receipts for out-of-pocket transportation expenses spent after the communication while waiting for the new pass to arrive. Acceptable documentation includes photos of receipts or screenshots of MBTA payments from credit card/debit card statement(s). If you are paying in cash, you will need to purchase a card or pass at an MBTA station with kiosks so you can receive a printed copy of the payment receipt.
Please note: Only MBTA public transit expenses are refundable. Rideshare apps, gas and mileage on a personal vehicle, blue bikes, and/or electric scooter expenses are not eligible for refund. The maximum refund amount is 25 percent of the original amount paid for the MBTA pass purchased through the Semester Pass Program. If you experience extended delivery issues, please work with Edenred to have the pass shipped to an alternative address. You can also connect with the Office of Student Affairs to request the pass be shipped to the Smith Campus Center, Suite 350, Harvard Griffin GSAS Office, to the ATTN of the Student Affairs team.
Refunds will NOT be issued:
- If the address submitted on the order form by the student was incorrect due to user error or has changed but was not updated by the student. You may update your address by following these instructions and can work directly with Edenred Commuter Benefit Solutions to update your mailing address to have the pass reshipped.
- If the pass was delivered to the local USPS post office and is awaiting pickup (Commuter rail passes are sent via priority mail, which requires a signature. If you are not home to receive the package, it will be delivered to a local post office for you to pick up).
- For expenses other than those associated with MBTA (bus, train, commuter rail).
- For the full amount of the pass. Edenred is able to work with you to ensure the pass you purchased will be delivered.
Refund processing is not immediate and may take up to one month after submitting your documentation. Refunds will be made through the Buy2Pay and will be mailed as a check to the address indicated. Refunds cannot be issued to your credit card or direct deposit. The deadline to request partial reimbursement is the last day of classes for the semester in which your pass was purchased.