Harvard Griffin GSAS Welcomes: International Summer Institute
2024 program dates coming soon!
The International Summer Institute (ISI) 2023 is approximately two weeks in duration and will take place in the weeks prior to Harvard Griffin GSAS Welcomes in-person events.
The Harvard Griffin GSAS Welcomes: International Summer Institute is a collaboration between the Office of Student Affairs, the Derek Bok Center for Teaching and Learning, and campus partners across the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.
New international PhD student participants will live in-residence in the Harvard Griffin GSAS Residence Halls for the duration of the two-week program. Students who are living in the Harvard Griffin GSAS residence halls throughout the academic year will be able to move directly into their academic year housing after the program ends. There are no additional room or tuition charges; students are responsible for living expenses only. Program capacity will be limited to a cohort of approximately thirty PhD students. By joining this program you will:
- Build Community: You will connect with peers across Harvard Griffin GSAS academic programs and disciplines and begin to build your professional and social networks.
- Activate English Language Skills: You will activate your English language skills and gain confidence communicating in English. There will be opportunities for you to practice English language skills and get feedback as you communicate in a variety of academic and social contexts.
- Learn More About Harvard: You will explore campus resources, the different Harvard campuses, and Cambridge and Boston/Longwood Area to begin to feel at home here. Specifically, you will learn more about Harvard classroom dynamics, expectations, and the Harvard graduate student advising village and understand the campus resources available to enhance and support your professional development.
During the program, you will participate in activities such as site visits, workshops, and panels to learn more about your new environment and how to maximize the resources available to support you. You will hear from:
- Student Affairs: Student Services, Student Center, Residential Life, and more!
- Derek Bok Center for Teaching and Learning
- Harvard International Office
- Academic Resource Center
- Harvard Libraries
- Fellowships & Writing Center
- Harvard University Health Services
- Counseling & Mental Health Services
During the evenings and over the weekend, you will have an opportunity to connect with fellow participants in the residence halls and continuing student leaders through a series of meals, socials, and outings.
Invited students will receive more information on ISI 2023 by late April. Students should discuss participating in the program with their graduate program coordinator or email the Office of Student Affairs for more information.