Expecting Parent Checklist
Prior to Childbirth or Adoption
- At least four months before your expected due or adoption date, review Harvard Griffin GSAS’s Parental Accommodation and Financial Support (PAFS) policy and set up a meeting with PAFS coordinator, Lisa Simpson.
- PAFS is not a retroactive program. Students must express interest in participating at least four months in advance of the anticipated birth or adoption event.
- Make a list of individuals who may be impacted by your absence (such as your advisor, department administrator, lab manager, graduate student coordinators, research collaborators, etc.) and include a timeline in which you would like to reach out to them for planning purposes.
- If you hold or are planning to hold a teaching or research assistant appointment, notify the department as soon as you are able so appropriate coverage (e.g. grading, classes, etc.) can be made.
- If in a lab and your experiments need to be monitored, notify your PI as soon as you are able so appropriate coverage can be made.
- If enrolled in classes, notify your faculty instructor at the start of term so reasonable academic adjustments can be made for your coursework. Consider requesting an incomplete, if appropriate.
- If you are in the writing phase, meetings with advisors or committee members, or dissertation defenses, can be rescheduled.
- Review your and/or your partner’s insurance coverage to see which plan would be best for your child.
- For Harvard insurance, contact Member Services at 617-495-2008 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Review your finances and create a budget (see useful tips on Harvard Griffin GSAS’s Financial Wellness page).
- Explore childcare options.
- If medical reasons impact your ability to make academic progress or meet requirements, contact the Accessible Education Office (AEO) at 617-496-8707 or email@example.com
After Childbirth or Adoption
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to inform the PAFS coordinator of the arrival of your child.
- Contact your insurance company with your child’s date of birth or adoption.
- Request a departmental G-Year adjustment from your department administrator.
- Notify the list of individuals who may be impacted about your return at least two weeks prior to your planned return.
- Register for Care.com benefit.
- Locate lactation spaces and support if you are a nursing parent.
- Review the Family Resources section of the Harvard Griffin GSAS website.
- Take care of yourself and your family!