Emergency Policy Amendment for Summer 2020
As a result of the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) pandemic, for summer 2020, Harvard Summer School is waiving tuition for GSAS students interested in studying a language. This tuition waiver is applicable for one course. Applications should be submitted through CARAT by May 1, 2020. Email GSASfirstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Deadline: May 1, 2020, At 11:59 P.M. [Changed from February 7, 2020, at 11:59 p.m.]
Instructions for Summer 2020
Purpose and Eligibility
The GSAS Summer School Tuition Fellowships enable doctoral students in the humanities or social sciences to engage in language study at the Harvard Summer School in Cambridge, either to prepare for their department foreign language exam, or to prepare for language needs related to the dissertation. This opportunity is for use in the summer following the G1, G2, or G3 year, but under special circumstances students in later years may apply. This fellowship does not apply to Harvard Summer School programs that are conducted abroad nor at any other Harvard school or other institution; it is exclusively for Harvard Summer School in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and exclusively for language study.
Stipend and Tenure
Winners of the GSAS Summer School Tuition Fellowship will receive a single tuition waiver for one language course at the Harvard Summer School. Enrollment in the chosen course will be based on availability: winners are advised to enroll promptly.
Terms and Conditions
- Students may apply either for a Graduate Society Summer Predissertation Fellowship or a Harvard Summer School Tuition Fellowship; they may not apply for both.
- Applicants for either summer fellowship may not apply for a Merit/Term-Time Fellowship during the same application year.
- Students who have received either a Harvard Summer School Tuition Fellowship or a Graduate Society Summer Predissertation Fellowship in the past are no longer eligible to apply for either of these awards.
- The GSAS financial aid provision of a GSAS Summer Research Award does not affect eligibility for the tuition waiver.
Application Instructions for the Student
Submit the following materials in CARAT by the deadline:
- The application form (automatically generated by CARAT);
- One-page proposal, double-spaced, describing need for the language study;
- Graduate transcript. When applying for internal Harvard fellowships, students do not need to submit an official transcript from the Registrar’s Office. They may submit a copy of their grade report available online from my.harvard.
Instructions for the Department
Departments should review the terms and conditions outlined above when advising students on fellowship applications. The summer school tuition waiver no longer requires departmental nomination forms or recommendation letters.