Students interested in applying for the Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Program (DDRA) must prepare and submit all required application materials, including language evaluations and reference letters, by the campus deadline of January 21, 2020, at 11:59 p.m. Please give yourself and your recommenders enough time to complete the entire application. There will be no exceptions or extensions to this deadline.
An eligible student:
- is a citizen or national of the United States or is a permanent resident of the United States;
- is a graduate student in good standing at an institution of higher education in the United States who, when the fellowship begins, is admitted to candidacy in a doctoral program in modern foreign languages and area studies at that institution;
- is planning a teaching career in the United States upon graduation; and
- possesses adequate skills in the language(s) necessary to carry out the dissertation project.
To apply, visit G5, the U.S. Department of Education's Grants Management system.
For comprehensive information on how to complete your application, review the following sources:
- Program description and eligibility requirements
- Page number, font, and formatting requirements
- Summary of the application process
- Review information and selection criteria
- Sample evaluation forms
- Step-by-step instructions for filling out forms in the G5 Grants Management System
- Maintenance allowances for countries/cities
- Applicant checklist
- IRB information
For more help
- Contact the G5 help desk with questions regarding the application website
- Questions regarding general application process should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Projects with human subjects will need to go through IRB approval. Information about this process is available through the Registrar's Office. IRB approval doesn’t need to be finalized by the application deadline, but you should begin the process.
- Notification about awards is hard to predict with the DDRA, much like the application period. Expect notification approximately 3-5 months after the application deadline.