Your degree program will note one of three options regarding submission of scores for the GRE General Test (GSAS also accepts scores from the GRE General Test at Home).
- Required: You must submit GRE General Test results.
- Optional: You may submit GRE General Test results if you wish.
- Not Accepted: Do not submit GRE General Test results. GRE General Test scores will not be considered when applications are reviewed.
Sending GRE Scores
When taking the GRE, you will have an opportunity to request that your scores be sent to your academic institutions of choice. Be sure to select Harvard University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, as each Harvard admissions office has its own ETS school code. To ensure that your scores are matched to your applicant record, the First Name, Last Name, and Date of Birth on your test score report must match the information you enter in the GSAS Applicant Portal. GRE score reports must be sent to GSAS by the application deadline.
- Use ETS code 3451 to send GRE scores to Harvard University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (department code is not required).
GRE tests must be taken within five years of your expected date of matriculation. If you are applying for fall 2023 admission, you must submit scores from tests taken no earlier than September 1, 2018.
- An official score report from Educational Testing Service (ETS) to Harvard University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences is required. If you have personal score reports from tests taken within the valid period (as described above), you can upload them to your application in addition to requesting that your scores be sent.
Some degree programs also require GRE Subject Tests. Visit your degree program page of interest for more information.
Can I report the best score in each subject /category from different GREs?
You must list each test date separately in the application, and the official test score report for each reported test date must be sent to ETS code 3451.
Do you require a minimum GRE score?
GSAS does not state minimum, average, or required GRE scores, and not all GSAS programs require the GRE. To determine your degree program’s requirements, please refer to Degree Programs.