Skip to main content

Exchange Scholar

The Exchange Scholar Program allows graduate students from other schools to study with Harvard faculty.

Harvard Griffin GSAS participates in the IvyPlus Exchange Scholar Program, which allows graduate students to study and work with faculty for a term or an entire academic year at one of 10 other graduate schools.

The schools that participate in the program are:

  • University of California, Berkeley
  • Brown University
  • University of Chicago
  • Columbia University
  • Cornell University
  • Dartmouth College
  • Massachusetts Institute of Technology
  • University of Pennsylvania
  • Princeton University
  • Stanford University
  • Yale University

Studying at a Partner School

The Office of Student Affairs assists Harvard Griffin GSAS students with the application process. Before applying, you should discuss the program with your advisor or academic program, then express interest by contacting the relevant department at the host institution and identifying an advisor.

Courses taken while participating in the IvyPlus Exchange Scholar Program will be recorded on your Harvard transcript. Exchange scholars receive benefits available to the host institution’s resident graduate students, including access to libraries, laboratories, health services, and athletic facilities.


  1.  Complete the IvyPlus Exchange Scholar Program application (pages 2–4 in the application).
  2.  Get the application approved and signed by your academic advisor and your department chair or director of graduate studies (page 5, section B in the application).
  3.  Email the signed application to the Office of Student Affairs at for approval (page 5, section C).
  4. Applications with completed Harvard signatures will then be forwarded by the Office of Student Affairs to the host institution. 

Applications for the fall term or the entire academic year are due in early July. Applications for the spring term are due in early December. 

Tuition and Health Coverage

Program participants are charged the appropriate Harvard Griffin GSAS resident tuition and remain eligible for Harvard Griffin GSAS financial aid. They are also charged Harvard University Student Health Program fees, which remain on the student account unless the fees are waived. Students may prefer to enroll in the health insurance program at the host institution and waive the Harvard fees. Be sure to read welcome materials and onboarding information sent by the host institution, which may indicate enrollment in the host institution's student health insurance plan and how to waive the plan, if necessary. 

Studying at Harvard 

Students from an IvyPlus Exchange Scholar Program partner school can apply to study at Harvard during the academic year or for the fall or spring term. Students are not expected to be in residence during the summer. If you would like to extend your stay by an additional term or year, you must submit another application.


  1. Follow all policies at your home institution and complete the IvyPlu Exchange Scholar Program application with your home institution’s signatures.
  2. The administrative contact from your institution (pages 7–9 on the application) should forward the application to Student Affairs at
  3. Student Affairs will reach out to indicate if your application has been approved and to lay out next steps regarding enrollment. 

Applications for the fall term or the entire academic year are due in early July. Applications for the spring term are due in early December. Applications will not be accepted after check in has opened for the corresponding term. 

Tuition and Health Coverage

Students from other institutions who participate in the IvyPlus Exchange Scholar Program are enrolled in the Harvard University Student Health Program and charged for the Student Health Insurance Plan coverage and for the student health fee. Those with comparable insurance elsewhere may waive health insurance coverage, however, the student health fee may not be waived.

Teaching and On-Campus Work

Regulations regarding employment for international students apply at both the student’s home and host institution. International students may be allowed to work on campus up to 20 hours per week, but approval must be granted by the home institution’s international office. All students can check with their host department to see if teaching opportunities are available.


Degrees Offered


Questions about the Program?

Office of Student Affairs