Former GSAS students who withdrew or were withdrawn from their graduate studies may apply for readmission to their degree program or for the degree. Readmission cannot be completed until all fees, overdue loan payments, and other indebtedness to the University has been paid.
- are charged a $105 application fee
- must pay at minimum the facilities fee in their last term of registration
Readmission to a Degree Program
Former GSAS students who previously enrolled in a degree program may apply for readmission to the same program if they:
- paid at least one installment of tuition
- held a registration status of withdrawn for at least one term
Readmission is not automatic and requires approval of the degree program and the GSAS dean for admissions and financial aid. If offered, readmission may be conditional, requiring performance of a specific task at a specific standard, either prior to or following readmission.
- Consideration is given to the record of each applicant, the length of absence, the activities undertaken during the absence, and the number of student places available in the department.
- Former students may submit up to three applications for readmission during the course of their academic career.
- A student who was required to withdraw from GSAS (for any reason other than the G10 enrollment cap) may not apply for readmission until two academic terms have passed.
In preparation, individuals must:
- contact the degree program they were previously enrolled in to clarify courses and exams to be taken, specify the time frame or duration to completion of the degree, confirm consent of their faculty advisor and committee, and determine what additional supporting documentation should be submitted with their application
- consult with the degree program’s designated financial aid officer to determine whether they need to provide evidence of ability to pay tuition during the enrolled terms
Applicants for readmission should submit the materials listed below to the Office of Student Affairs by email or by mail. Applicants must submit their materials by January 31 of any given year to be considered for readmission for the following fall.
3. Letter of recommendation
4. Official GSAS transcript
5. Official transcripts of any formal academic training taken since leaving GSAS
6. Any additional material required by the department
Readmission for Degree
Former GSAS students who completed all degree requirements except the dissertation defense (if applicable) and submission of the dissertation prior to withdrawal may apply for readmission for degree for one of three degree periods: November, March, or May.
Readmitted students are enrolled “pending degree” and are expected to meet the deadlines noted in the degree calendar. Students who fail to submit their dissertation prior to the deadline will revert to a registration status of “withdrawn.”
Applicants for readmission for degree should submit the materials listed below to the Office of Student Affairs by email or by mail. Submissions should arrive at least two weeks prior to the deadline for submission of degree applications to the Registrar’s Office (see degree calendar).
2. Statement of purpose
3. Letter of recommendation from the student’s advisor, indicating that the student is ready to defend their dissertation