Student Loans

For those unable to utilize the federal loan programs, Harvard University has compiled information about private loan programs available for both US citizens and international students.

Veterans Benefits

Harvard University extends a special welcome to those students who are veterans of the US armed forces. Students who are eligible for veteran and military benefits should procure a Certificate of Eligibility from the US Department of Veterans Affairs. Once the GSAS Office of Admissions and Financial Aid has received your Certificate of Eligibility and Notice of Student Enrollment forms, we will work with the VA to activate your educational benefits.

Additional Opportunities

Dudley House Fellows

Dudley House fellows organize intellectual, cultural, athletic, and social activities at Dudley House, the graduate student center. Fellows work closely with the faculty deans, house administrator, GSAS administrators, and each other to engender a sense of community and enrich graduate student life.

Fellows receive up to 10 meals per week in the Dudley House dining hall, guaranteed housing in a GSAS residence hall if they wish to live in one, and a $3,000 stipend. Assistant fellows may receive a small stipend as compensation. Applications for Dudley fellow positions are available in January for the following academic year. For additional information, e-mail Susan Zawalich, Dudley House administrator, or call 617-495-2255.


Some courses use graders to help evaluate student work, including exams and weekly problem sets. A grader is paid at an appropriate fraction of a TF salary. The Harvard College Office of Undergraduate Education approves grading appointments.

Part-Time Teaching outside Harvard

Graduate students interested in locating part-time teaching opportunities outside Harvard should consult with their department chair, advisor, or staff at the Office of Career Services or the Student Employment Office.

Proctoring for Exams and at Fall Term Registration

Graduate students interested in proctoring should e-mail the Office of the Registrar or call 617-495-1542. Proctoring opportunities are also available at Harvard Law School; contact Michelle Pessinis at the Harvard Law School Registrar’s Office for more information (617-495-1707).

The Harvard Extension School

The Harvard Extension School hires a small number of graduate students as support teaching staff. Consult the course catalog for information on courses offered. Individual faculty members are responsible for recruiting and supervising support staff. For additional information regarding eligible courses, e-mail Mark Lax or call 617-495-4867.

Harvard Divinity School Summer Language Program

Positions for teaching assistants in Arabic, French, German, Hebrew, Latin, or Spanish translation may be available through the Harvard Divinity School’s Summer Language Program. For information, e-mail Karin Grundler-Whitacre, director of the HDS Summer Language Program, or call the Office for Faculty and Academic Affairs at 617-384-6598.

Resident Positions: Resident Advisors, Freshman Proctors, and House Tutors


Resident advisors (RAs) are 16 graduate student members of the GSAS Office of Student Affairs team who live on each floor of the four GSAS residence halls. RAs help students adjust to the Harvard community, aid in emergency situations, and serve as liaisons with the GSAS administration. Applicants must be degree candidates in good academic standing and must have lived for at least one term in a GSAS residence hall. Compensation includes a free room and a weekday lunch and dinner meal contract at Dudley House.

Applications for RA positions are available in January for the upcoming academic year. For information, e-mail Ashley Skipwith, director of residential life, or call 617-495-5060.


Freshman proctors provide guidance for first-year students in all aspects of their exploration of Harvard. They live in the freshman dormitories and are members of the College staff with whom first-year students have the most contact. The proctor application deadline is rolling; however priority is given to candidates who apply by early January.


Resident tutors are members of the undergraduate Houses and play a vital role in the residential and educational life of undergraduates. The priority deadline to apply to be a resident tutor is typically the last day in January. Houses also appoint several nonresident tutors, who usually receive some meals and an opportunity to participate in House life in exchange for various duties.

For 2018-2019, the GSAS Office of Admissions and Financial Aid assumes earnings of $11,160 in-kind compensation for ten-month resident tutors and freshmen proctors and an additional $1,620 for the summer.

Student Employment

For those students who did not qualify for Federal Work-Study, part-time employment may be an attractive opportunity to help defray costs. The Harvard University Student Employment Office maintains listings of opening both on- or off-campus.