GSAS enables students to coordinate their studies for an additional advanced degree.
Combine your PhD with an MD
For careers in biomedical science requiring an MD and PhD, visit the MD-PhD program at Harvard Medical School.
Combine your PhD with a JD
Through this program, you'll receive a JD from Harvard Law School and a PhD from Harvard GSAS. Learn more about the Coordinated JD/PhD program.
Combine your MBA with a master of science
GSAS partners with Harvard Business School (HBS) on two joint degree programs that confer an MBA from HBS and a master of science from GSAS:
Learn more about the MS/MBA: Engineering Sciences program with the Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences.
Learn more about the MS/MBA Biotechnology: Life Sciences with the Harvard Department of Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology.
Combine your Harvard College AB with an AM or SM
Information about advanced standing can be found on the Office of Undergraduate Education website.
Eligible Harvard College students may apply to GSAS, typically in the fall of their junior year, to earn an AM or SM degree through the Concurrent Master's program during their final year of undergraduate study.
- Review information about the Concurrent Master’s program from the Office of Undergraduate Education (OUE) and information about the intended master’s program.
- Use the Concurrent Master’s Planning Worksheet (available for download on the Concurrent Master's page of the OUE website) to develop a detailed plan to fulfill the degree requirements for the intended master’s program.
- Engage in advising conversations with their resident dean, the director of undergraduate studies (or equivalent) for their concentration, and the director of graduate studies for their intended master’s program to discuss the additional workload required for the concurrent master’s degree.
- Review the admissions information on the GSAS website, including application instructions.
- Submit an application to GSAS. The application deadline for the AB/AM and AB/SM is the same as the published deadline for the GSAS program of interest.
- Chemistry and Chemical Biology
- Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS)
- Germanic Languages and Literatures
- Regional Studies—East Asia
- Regional Studies—Russia, Eastern Europe, and Central Asia (REECA)*
*These programs have not yet been approved for fall 2021 admissions; however, you should apply if you are interested. In the unlikely event a program is not approved, GSAS will reach out with next steps.