Eligible students in the humanities and social sciences are guaranteed a GSAS dissertation completion fellowship (DCF) between the G4 and G7 years and must apply for the DCF in advance of the dissertation completion year.
Before applying, students should:
- Review DCF opportunities offered by Harvard research centers (see below) and search the CARAT database for DCFs offered by non-Harvard agencies.
- Review GSAS dissertation completion fellowships policy
- Follow the GSAS instructions for dissertation completion fellowships and apply by February 11, 2022, at 11:59 p.m.
Award description and confirmation typically occurs mid-April.
While there is no guarantee of a DCF beyond the G7 year, requests will be considered upon recommendation of the faculty advisor.
SPECIAL NOTE CONCERNING COVID-19: For students facing extenuating circumstances attributable to the COVID-19 pandemic, it may be possible to begin the dissertation completion fellowship year in the spring term. Students should contact their financial aid officer for more information about eligibility and the application process.
Instructions for departments can be found on the GSAS instructions for dissertation completion fellowships page.
Harvard Research Centers
Other dissertation completion fellowships are available through the Harvard research centers.
- Center for American Political Studies Dissertation Fellowships
- Charles Warren Center for Studies in American History Dissertation Completion Grants
- Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies Dissertation Completion Fellowships
- Edmond J. Safra Graduate Fellowships in Ethics
- Mahindra Humanities Center Mellon Interdisciplinary Dissertation Completion Fellowship
- Center for European Study Dissertation Completion Fellowship
- Radcliffe Dissertation Completion Fellowships
- Weatherhead Center for International Affairs Canada Program Dissertation Research and Writing Fellowships
- Weatherhead Center for International Affairs Dissertation-Writing Grants
External Dissertation Completion Fellowships
Search the CARAT database for dissertation completion fellowships offered by non-Harvard agencies.