Eligible students in the humanities and social sciences are guaranteed a GSAS Dissertation Completion Fellowship between the G4 and G7 years. Students are required to meet all departmental requirements, submit an approved dissertation prospectus, and draft two dissertation chapters, or, for students in fields where the dissertation consists of three articles, produce one article in draft. The completion of the dissertation drafts must be confirmed by the dissertation advisor and a second advisor in a signed confirmation form. Please apply for all of the dissertation completion fellowship opportunities mentioned below through CARAT.
While there is no guarantee of a dissertation completion fellowship beyond the G7 year, requests will be considered upon recommendation of the faculty advisor. Notification typically occurs around mid-April.
Harvard Research Centers
Other dissertation completion fellowships are available through the Harvard research centers.
- Center for American Political Studies Dissertation Fellowships
- Charles Warren Center for Studies in American History Dissertation Completion Grants
- Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies Dissertation Completion Fellowships
- Edmond J. Safra Graduate Fellowships in Ethics
- Mahindra Humanities Center Mellon Interdisciplinary Dissertation Completion Fellowship
- Minda de Gunzburg Center for European Studies Dissertation Completion Fellowship
- Radcliffe Dissertation Completion Fellowships
- Weatherhead Center for International Affairs Canada Program Dissertation Research and Writing Fellowships
- Weatherhead Center for International Affairs Dissertation Completion Grants
- Weatherhead Center for International Affairs Dissertation-Writing Grants
External Dissertation Completion Fellowships
Search the CARAT database for dissertation completion fellowships offered by non-Harvard agencies.