GSAS students may apply to transfer from:
- an AB/AM or SB/SM program to a PhD program
- a master’s degree program to a PhD program
- their current degree program to another
Students interested in transferring to an ad hoc degree program should review the ad hoc degree program process. Those interested in moving from one area of study to another within the same department at the same degree level should file an Application for Change of Subject with the Registrar’s Office. Individuals who withdrew from GSAS may apply to a different GSAS program; those interested in rejoining their previous degree program should follow the readmission process.
- Students may apply for transfer up to three times in their academic career, with a maximum of two times in one year.
- Students who are approved to transfer admission to a different degree program receive financial credit for tuition paid when they were previously registered and credit toward the PhD tuition requirement.
- A student who transfers from a GSAS master’s degree program to a PhD program receives financial credit toward the PhD tuition requirements.
- Courses completed for a master’s degree in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences may count toward academic requirements for the PhD at the discretion of the program.
- Students currently enrolled in a Harvard Integrated Life Sciences (HILS) member program who wish to transfer to another HILS program must contact the HILS office at email@example.com or 617-495-9500 to set up a meeting after submitting the application.
- Your HILS transfer application will NOT be delivered to the department unless you meet with HILS administration.
Any materials available from your original GSAS application will be sent to the department for consideration. As you are completing your new application, be sure to answer “Yes” and list your dates of attendance for the question “Have you ever been registered in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences as a degree candidate?”
You should ensure that your new application includes:
- Current official GSAS transcript
- Transcripts from any institutions attended since your last enrollment in GSAS
- Three NEW letters of recommendation (preferably from faculty members who can comment on your ability to carry out graduate study in your proposed field)
- Current GRE scores, if required. Please note: GRE scores expire after five years. You are responsible for retaking the test and submitting your scores, if required.
- TOEFL iBT scores or IELTS scores, if necessary. Please note: TOEFL scores expire after two years. You are responsible for retaking the test and submitting your scores, if required.
- Any additional material required by the department.