This website contains information and, in some cases application forms, for a select list of graduate pre-doctoral fellowships: Harvard Traveling Fellowships, Harvard Graduate Society Fellowships, the Whiting and other Dissertation Completion Fellowships, and Harvard Merit Fellowships, as well as some of the major outside fellowships supporting pre-doctoral study or research. For a more complete fellowship listing, see the Graduate Guide to Grants and the Harvard Guide to Postdoctoral Fellowships .
The main purpose of this website is to help fellowship candidates prepare applications as effectively as possible by making information readily available well in advance of deadlines. It is also intended to assist department administrators by providing fuller details on some of the fellowship procedures.
As a companion to this website, the Director of Fellowships provides counseling to candidates on all aspects of the application process and especially on preparing the fellowship proposal. For this service, candidates should call 617-495-1814 and ask for an appointment with Cynthia Verba. Samples of winning fellowship applications are available in the GSAS publication, Scholarly Pursuits, which appears on this web site and which also may be obtained in hard copy at the Fellowships Office. Note: Graduate fellowship workshops will be announced in the GSAS Bulletin and on department bulletin boards. Keep an eye on these for further details. For more complete description of services see GSAS Fellowships Office website.
Graduate Summer Fellowships
- GSAS Graduate Society Summer Predissertation Fellowships (use Graduate Summer Standard App in CARAT)
Dissertation Completion Fellowships (and center research options)
- GSAS and Harvard Research Center Fellowships with a Research or Completion Option (use standard dissertation completion app through CARAT)
Miscellaneous Harvard Fellowships
- Harvard Summer School Tuition Waivers (with attached application form)
- Merit Fellowships/Term Time Research Awards
- Jens Aubrey Westengard Fund for Summer Study
- Kennedy, Knox, Sheldon, and Lurcy Traveling Fellowships
- The Augustus Clifford Tower Fellowship, The French Government Fellowship for The Ecole Normale Superieure, and The Harvard French Exchange Program for the Institut d'Etudes Politiques (GSAS Sciences-Po)
- The Harlech Scholarship
- Harvard Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst (DAAD)
- Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship (FLAS)
- Fulbright, Institute of International Education (IIE) Cultural Exchange Awards
- Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Program (DDRA), US Department of Education (to be announced)
- Luce Scholars Program
- Harvard China Fellowship